Sunday, March 23, 2014

I Made Milk

Almond Milk!!!

It was simple to make & delicious to taste.

Step 1. Soak the almonds overnight.  The longer you soak the almonds, the creamier the milk will be.   I soaked 2 cups of almonds for 36 hours.  


Step 2.  Rinse almonds well.  Place them in your blender or food processor and add filtered water (2:1 ratio).  Add more water to make it thinner, less water to make it thicker.  My ratio gave it a consistency of 2% milk.  Blend for 2 minutes on the highest speed.  If using a food processor you may need to blend for up to 4 minutes. 


Step 3.  Place cheese cloth over strainer (with a bowl underneath).  Pour the almond mixture into the strainer.


Step 4.  Squeeze all of the milk out by twisting the cheese cloth and pressing with your hand to extract as much milk as possible. 


Step 5.  Add to a mason jar.  Sweeten to taste.  My milk was pretty flavorful on its own, but I added a tablespoon of homemade vanilla for a special touch. 


Step 6.  Store almond milk in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days. 


Step 7.  Optional.  Place the almond meal on a pan and throw in the oven on low for a few hours.  They can stay in your freezer for several months and can be used in smoothies, oatmeal, for baking etc.


Voilà 

Good luck
xx


2 comments:

  1. Very COOL, Val !!! You are now officially a hippie....and I'm loving it!
    p.s. The vanilla was a good idea. Must try it.
    I love you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks deliciously refreshing! I am totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete