Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Eliminate & Feel Gr-8

. . . well, that's the plan at least.

Day 10 of the elimination diet. Feeling pretty good so far.

After 2 months of experiencing digestive issues (indigestion, pressure in my stomach after eating a small meal, nausea, etc), I was diagnosed with H. Pylori [a bacteria that lives in the sticky mucus that lines the stomach. About 40% of people in the UK have H. pylori - but not everyone has symptoms].
I have had a couple visits with my GP (who I love) and have been working closely (by phone and email) with a Naturopath MD from America  (a freaking genius!!!!), who has been advising natural therapies in addition to the antibiotics and acid reducer, in hopes that I can eradicate this bacteria on the first round.    

The ND had suggested (only if I was up to it) that I try eliminating certain foods to see if my symptoms settle.  After 3-4 weeks I will reintroduce one item every few days and record a reaction/feeling, if any.
I had choices: To eliminate one food per week, to do it all at once, or not at all.  I was hesitant at first because I am a FOOD LOVER!  When I first started my job in New York I had to stand up and tell people about myself.  I chose to say "My name is Val.  I love food.  I go to bed thinking about what I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning."  And ain't that still the truth!!!
Ultimately I decided to do it all at once!  When I really thought about what this could mean for me (feeling better!!!), I knew I had to give it a shot.
It's amazing how much willpower I have when I "have" to do it.  If I decided to go forward with this diet on my own accord -- without the push from a medical professional, I imagine I would have given in to some sort of temptation by now.  But, I haven't, and for that, I am proud and feeling empowered.  If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right!!!!!
( D is also eliminating with me, which makes it so much more bearable.  Almost everything is easier with a buddy :) )

Eliminating: 
Gluten
Soy
Corn
Sugar
Alcohol
Eggs
Dairy
Citrus Fruits
Beef/Shellfish/Cold cuts
Nightshade veggies
Caffeine 

So, what can we eat? Right? 
We've been making bean soups, pea soups, chicken soups, steel cut oats, quinoa and veggies, salads ...
It's actually been going better than I had anticipated. Even if it turns out that I don't react negatively to any foods, I'll still be glad that I tried.  And at the very least, I was eliminating foods that we all probably shouldn't ingest so much of anyway.
D and I were talking last night about trying to implement this way of eating (during the week) even after the month is complete.  We'll see how that goes.  Can't promise anything. 

Cabbage juice. Isn't as gross as it seems. Good for overall digestive health.
Read below...you'll be shocked!
16 Benefits of Cabbage Juice

Steel cut oats, coconut oil, chia seeds, flax seed, apples, salt.

Quinoa with zucchini, celery, spinach, chicken, & dairy-less almond pesto soup.

White bean soup

Top left: Chickpea "Tuna" Salad - mashed chickpeas, celery, onion, carrots, sunflower seeds, oil, ACVinegar (mayo if you are allowed to eat it)

If anyone has food suggestions or recipes, please send them my way.  I can use all the help I can get.

xx

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

**Elimination Diet Update** 
I stopped the elimination diet when I went home.  My doctor said to relax and enjoy eating with my family.  But, for 2 weeks it went well :) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! A healthy diet to follow for sure! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete