Thursday, January 30, 2014

Almonds Are Better Buttered & EatGreenFeelClean

You heard it here first.  Almonds are better buttered. Factual.

In an attempt to eat a bit healthier, save money (debatable), and enhance my culinary prowess, I decided to make my very own, homemade, almond butter.  It was a small undertaking, but I felt proud.

If you have a blender, food processor, and some time, you should definitely try making your own almond butter.  I baked my almonds for 10 minutes before I began blending them, in hopes that they would soften a little.  As the almonds break up they start to release their oils, which makes it creamy.  This process could take 10-30 minutes before the consistency is to your liking.

it is literally soooo phenomenal - make it -try it - & fall in love


Keeping with the healthy eating theme....

This week I have been participating in my friends 3 Day Plant-Based Cleanse: A Gentle Reset for Your Mind and Body.  
I have been wanting to do a cleanse for a while now.  I know that I am capable of doing it on my own, but I struggle with self motivation.  I need to know that others are doing it too.  I need to have a plan of action.  I need to commit fully or else I'll break.  I can't be overwhelmed.  If I deprive myself, or if the goal is too large, I will lose confidence and quit.  It's just who I am and how I operate.  No judgements, please ;)

Well, this cleanse was perfect and it met all of my criteria : Easily attainable, structured, and lots of great food.  I didn't sign up expecting to be changed forever or to lose weight, I just wanted to eat healthy food and feel good while doing it.  At the very least, I was hoping that this three day trial would be a way to educate me on how to eat well with fun and exciting new recipes.  It did just that.  I feel great and I also feel motivated to continue to EatGreenFeelClean on my own.  I definitely am still a carnivore and lover of dairy, but now I have a new mindset, and recipe ideas, for how to eliminate meat and dairy from my diet and still have a well balanced & delicious meal.  The key to success was to be prepared! Each night, D and I would spend time together in the kitchen preparing our meals for the next day.  It was a wonderful bonding experience for the two of us as well.  
Win win! 
breakfast smoothie, snack (apple&delicious almond butter), and lunch
veggies & quinoa
quinoa lettuce wraps with honey&lime
zucchini pizza boats
tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, olives, sauce, garlic & basil
All in all, I think that this was a huge success.  I can't wait to do it again.  Thanks for the motivation, Mag! xx

For more information from a certified holistic health coach, go to MaggiePrairie.com 
Near or far, she can help you make a difference in your life! 

isn't she so adorable???


#EatGreenFeelClean

...I sure do
xx

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! Everything looks delicious! Quinoa and roasted veggies...hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look delicious! I'm tempted!! Go Val!

    ReplyDelete