Monday, February 24, 2014

From the Outside Looking In

Everyone else's life always seems so wonderful.
Social media, while a marvelous innovation, also has the ability to present a false perception of reality that could leave 'followers' feeling that their life is inadequate in comparison.
It's rare for someone to take to their twitter/facebook/instagram account to declare "My day sucks.  My girlfriend is annoying, I've felt sick since breakfast, I've been waking up anxious for the past week, I don't fit into any of my jeans, or I'm not as happy as everyone thinks I am."  The list can go on, but that's the gist. 
It's more along the lines of posting pictures of:  Flowers that their "best boyfriend ever" brought home for them, an amazing vacation with "the love of their life," their "besties," and more.  
I get it.  I am guilty of some version of that, which is why so many people think my life is so great right now.  I'm living in London, no full-time job, no major responsibilities, traveling on the occasional weekend, going out to dinners, etc.

From the outside looking in, my life could seem like one to envy.

While I have had some pretty awesome experiences since touching down in the UK and undoubtedly have so much to be thankful for, I've also had a pretty 'rough go' since my arrival over 10 months ago.  The combination of all the little hits have been wearing on me and this past week I've been drowning in them a bit.
I'm okay though.  It's nothing I can't handle.  I'm hopeful that by dealing with these small struggles I will be stronger in the end.
I have allowed myself a few days to just feel the feelings.  Now, it's time to power up and dance in the rain! 

No one's life is perfect, everyone has struggles, and everyyyy once in a while it's comforting to hear that you're not alone in having bad days.

I thought it was only fair that I share my not so glamorous moment(s) of weakness too.

"It's just a bad day. Not a bad life."
xx






3 comments:

  1. Oh Val!! I feel ya! All so true. You're not alone. I always laugh at how lovely everyone's instagrams and Facebook posts are and think the same thing...what about life's failing moments? Thinking of you and sending lots of love your way! Hugs from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expressed perfectly! You are so right, social media paints a rosy picture of life, not necessarily the reality of day to day living. So proud you are owning your feelings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, may you feel the pride that comes from wisdom well versed and shared! Thank you for reminding us to acknowledge the good and the challenging as all part of our journey.
    LOVED IT !! AND LOVE YOU !! xo

    ReplyDelete